While rapidly prototyping mechanics to use as puzzles in the game, I started out with the simple function of clicking on a dial and it rotates. Using visual scripting I tested to create a blueprint that changes the symbol light of the dial when you have put it in it's correct position.
I added a glowing material to the knob so that it changes the color when it is in the desired position. It made the knob look quite alright, though jittery and not that smooth.
The first iteration of the blueprint and the visual scripting. The desired outcome was to have the dial rotate when you click on it.
The biggest challenge was to not make it so jittery while it rotates. Tried to change to smoother ways of calculating the rotation, but realized that my visual scripting was not good enough for what I was imagining and scrapped it.
The Final Version
While iterating the knob, several changes had to be made.
The entire visual scripting has to be remade to have the rotation update correctly and changed the function to work while holding the mouse button down. By doing this we got rid of the jittery effect and got a smooth rotation going!
I created some art in Photoshop and adjusted the images to correspond with the knobs rotation. Allowing to have a cool transition when using the knob!
Zoom and drag (right click)
The original idea of the tablet was to be the ingame menu. As part of the narrative, there are tablets sprawled around in the levels that give lore and information to the player.
I pictured an actual tablet that will appear from below, as if you were taking it up from your utility belt or something. Using Visual Scripting and widget animations I attempted to create the first prototype. Since I wanted the tablet to look realistic and not just an image, I used a second camera that is supposed to only show the tablet.
The Prototype Final Version
After receiving tablet assets from the artist, I improved on the protype to look better and refined widget animations. I struggled with the second camera, so I literally threw it up in the sky allowing only the teblet to show and nothing else.
The final version worked just as I imagined it, unfortunately I forgot about the lightning, as such the table only has a constant lightning. If possible, I would have the tablet in the actual hand of the player rather than using a widget.
Zoom and drag (right click)
Simple lever that is used in cooperation with other puzzle pieces. The design was shaped as a lever since buttons are kind of boring.
It's implementation was simple but gave an increased variety of ways to solve puzzles to advance and clear the levels in our game. It was unfortunately not used as much as I would have liked to have been used.
As we went with no HUD, we added tablets around the level to tell our narrative and give the player more information about the world. This allowed us to have some world building that would help the player be more immersed in the game.
Due to time constraints, we could not finish all our levels, as such I took the liberty to add simple messages at the blocked levels that could be interpreted as jokes or poking fun at our development team.
If we have a simple lever, we need to have a simple valve!
Since the game is taking place in a water treatment facility, there are pipes running all around the levels, there is water, steam and drippings of unknown liquids in the distance.
The valve is a much used mechanic that allows us to block the player with steam or water, forcing the player to turn a valve to clear the path forward!
Special Thanks to Esteban Morales
In cooperation with a programmer we designed how the cable that solves power issues should be in the game was to be like. While iterating and discussing back and forth, we constrained the cable, only allowing it to move in two axis. We encountered mesh flickering during our process that we were never able to get rid of. I am proud of the final product our programmer delivered!